Thursday, March 15, 2012

All Stop!


I've heard it said that life is what happens when you make other plans...

On Monday morning I reported off-leave at Military Sealift Command's "Customer Service Unit--East" (otherwise known as 'the Pool'--for more on this particular bureaucratic denizen see my post "Back to the Sea" of November 2011), checked in with my detailer and got the gouge on my immediate future; three-to-four weeks of refresher training at the MSC facility in New Jersey and then assignment to a ship out of Norfolk, probably the T-AOE Supply or one of the local oilers.

This, of course, won't happen.  Yesterday evening, as I was standing in-line for a showing of the Disney film 'John Carter' (I'm a lifelong fan of ERB's Barsoom tales) my cell rang; it was the detailer with news.  For the convenience of the Navy I was suddenly assigned to a ship--USNS Joshua Humphreys, currently working in the Persian Gulf.  Apparently I have some traveling to do...

USNS Joshua Humphreys, from a series of photos I took off Virginia in 2010

Oh, and one more little detail.  I have to be aboard ship by Sunday morning.  This ought to be fun!

Stay Tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Safe trip over Thomas best of luck on your new ship.....

    ReplyDelete