Friday, September 7, 2018

Stars Over The Gulf I

Calm seas and beautiful skies; the dust storms that have masked the heavens for several weeks appear to have moved on. Last night I gathered a few Shipmates on the portside bridge-wing and took them on a naked-eye tour of the visible planets and Milky Way.

At these latitudes (about equal to those of southern Nicaragua or northern Costa Rica) we can see well down into Centaurus to the south while the familiar stars of Ursa Minor (including Polaris, the "north star") are lost in the summer haze to our north. Thus, the central bulge of our galaxy stands high and impressive in the inky sky.

Just a fantastic view!

Tonight--if the weather and seeing conditions hold--I'll take the Astroscan 'scope to my favorite observing location up forrard. I think it's time to introduce some of my friends here to a few deep-sky wonders.

Stay tuned!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment