Monday, October 1, 2018

f-stop: Russian Photo-Op

'Severomorsk' conducts helo recovery operations
Frequent readers will know that I have long held a fascination for the ships and aircraft of other navies; the sight of an unfamiliar rig or unknown flag stirs my blood in a way that warships of my own Navy no longer can. I reach for binoculars and begin picking-out details that might lead to an identification, then head for the bridge's copy of 'Janes' Fighting Ships' to search for a match.
Helix '53' takes a good look at Laramie
If I may say so, I'm pretty good at this. I've had quite a bit of practice over nearly four decades at sea, after all.

Here we have a recent encounter here in the Gulf with the Russian destroyer Severomorsk and his* 'Helix' helicopter. This was an easy "I.D.", for though I'd never actually seen one of these 'Udaloy-class' ASW ships before I've spent a lot of time studying the Russian Navy and it's warships, and it is a very distinctive design.
Shorts and a t-shirt...it must be Casual Day in the Russian Navy
Severomorsk passed several miles from Laramie, which was a bit of a disappointment to me as I would have loved to have seen and photographed him more closely, but as a consolation the destroyer's helicopter came quite a bit closer and in fact flew around Laramie for a few minutes. This was quite an enjoyable air-show, as ship and helo exchanged waved greetings and took snapshots of each other.
As you can see, the 'Helix' looks quite different from Western helicopters, but it's counter-rotating rotor system is actually quite efficient, doing away with the balky transmission system and tail-rotor of more familiar rotary-wing aircraft.

Das Vidanya!



* Ships in the Russian Navy are referred to using the male pronoun.

2 comments:

  1. The more things change, the more they remain the same (sometimes)… when conducting surveillance of an old SENYAVIN-class cruiser in the South China Sea in 1979, we had a similar encounter with a casually-dressed KA-25 HORMONE crew. Glad to see both sides are exchanging weaves and smiles these days, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I well remember those days--had my first "commie encounter" with a Juliett class sub in the Med in '81. We put together a package for them--filled an empty sonobuoy canister with "Hustlers", "Sports Illustrated"s and ship's ballcaps, then pulled in front of them and dropped it. We got a big cheer from the guys on deck!

    ReplyDelete