Monday, December 24, 2018

f-stop: Seven Sisters

A little photographic experimentation. I set-up my Canon SX-50 (a few years old but still rocking) on the bridge-wing railing with my knit-cap as cushioning and vibration-suppression, sighted-in VERY carefully and with a little trial-and-error managed a not-too-bad 1-sec exposure of M45 (the Pleiades in Taurus) at 6400 ISO with the telephoto lens zoomed-out to approximately 50x. You can see that the star images are slightly elongated; this is the effect of the Earth's rotation.

I enjoy challenging my equipment and myself; being an amateur astronomer @ sea means that quite a few of the "rules" and techniques for star-gazing and astrophotography either don't apply or require extensive modification before they can be applied aboard ship. In this case I'm rather pleased with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment