Friday, December 28, 2018

"River-Boat"

USNS Laramie in the Mediterranean, Dec 2018
This is my ship, USNS Laramie (T-AO 203). She is my job, my office and my home for up to ten months a year, operating in home waters off the coast of Virginia, ranging north and south along the east coast of the United States, or deploying around the world to the Indian Ocean or Mediterranean Sea. I have many friends amongst her crew, people I admire and respect, and for the most part I find the experience of sailing and serving in this naval auxiliary to be rewarding and enjoyable.

She's far from my first ship, but after two years aboard I think I can safely say that she's a 'keeper'. I'm planning to stay with this particular "River Boat" (so-called because most Navy Oilers are named for rivers in the United States) for as long as I can. It seems to be a good match so far!

I usually see her from the inside; it's nice to come across a beautiful photograph from the perspective of another ship making her approach to receive fuel and cargo. This image was taken by an officer aboard the Spanish Frigate Reina Sofia; I think it captures my current nautical girlfriend very nicely.

It's also cool to know that one of those dots on the bridge wing (directly above the orange-topped lifeboats) is yours-truly!

No comments:

Post a Comment