Saturday, December 15, 2018

Missing The Boat

Well, that's disappointing. I planned the day with care and precision--and almost everything fell through. The Plan was to take a day off here in Sicily, do some tourism-type stuff and some shopping in Catania, come back to the ship to get my equipment and then take a taxi out to Siracusa and join my new Astro-Friends there for an evening of star-gazing 'way out in the hills. Good plan, it was...

 

Unfortunately things began to unravel almost immediately. Buses were late, my cellphone died, and when I came back to the pier in order to clean up, dress in my woolies and gather my observing gear, I discovered that the ship wasn't THERE anymore. It's anchored out in the middle of the bay, with no boats running, and I'm NOT that good of a swimmer--let alone a member of the Polar Bear Club!

 

Now I'm waiting on the pier for Laramie to raise anchor and come back in. That is, I HOPE it will come back in. What a day! On the bright side, I DID get my shopping done...

 

The Next Morning: I’m back on-board 'Laramie' after spending the night aboard USNS Trenton (EPF-5). I’m certainly glad she was in port—though if she HADN’T been there would have been no reason for The Tanker to spend the night at  anchor! Causality can certainly suck. Things didn't work out perfectly yesterday but I'm a "lessons-learned' kind'a guy and I'll take the complications on-board for future planning. Live and learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment